on this project. 6' of ice and water shield was installed on the eaves and ice and water in the valleys as well as steel valley flashings. The remainder of the roof was covered in synthetic felt paper.
We also installed a vent-a-ridge which goes under the ridge cap to make a continuous roof vent which is hidden very well.
We also installed almost 400 brick ties in the old home tying the old structure into the new structure we built inside of it prior to polyurethane foam insulating.
We took the time to drywall the ceiling in the addition prior to insulating. We than had 2" of foam insulation sprayed over the drywall, potlights, speakers, etc. We will top this up with cellulose to achieve an R-50 in the addition attic. This ensures an airtight seal around all the fixtures and against the exposed brick wall between the old home and the addition.
We added this Pent Roof over the living room window which looked out of place prior to the renovation because it was added later and not trimmed the same. All the openings in the brick have arches except this one. This added an element of curve to this window, it should also tie in well with the future porch around the addition.
The addition foundation was cement block and leaked badly all the time, especially in the spring or after rains. We excavated around the foundation to waterproof it. We pressure washed the old foundation as well so the waterproofing would bond to a clean surface.
Hydro One came in and disconnect power and installed the new underground cable from the hydro pole at the road to the new meter base WireQ installed.
WireQ installed a disconnect switch to add in a future back up generator as well as a new 200amp breaker panel.
During excavating we found the missing well, which is illegal as it was below grade and would have run off going in the exposed well head. The cement block foundation had a lot of cracks. We V'd them out with a diamond blade and filled them with non-shrink grout which was than coated with fibreglass resin by MBS prior to tarring it.
We installed new septic tank risers on the old septic tank to make locating and cleaning the tank easy.
We eliminated the old sump pail by digging in this trench and installing pipe for the weeping tile and a separate pipe for eavestrough creating a french drain to remove the water far from the foundation.
The front door sill was all gone and rotten. We poured in a new cement sill after having the ring joist coated in spray foam first.
sprayed all the walls with R-24 spray foam, the old house sloped ceiling received R-50 spray foam and the addition received R-12 spray foam and will be topped up to R-50 with cellulose.
Martins Insulation insulated the basement walls with R-24 Spray foam.
We tied the new weeping tile into our new french drain, which we also installed a cleanout in just in case. We ran a separate line than to tie the eavestrough into.
We than backfilled the foundation with 2' of washed stone and than gravel on top to ensure great drainage around the foundation as the property does slope into this home.
The white pipe on the left is the cleanout for the weeping tile ensuring it can never plug. The white pipe on the right is for the future eavestrough to tie into. Keeping the water away from the basement.